Based in Lilongwe, Malawi
with regular visits to several intervention areas (southern and central regions)
Founded in 1980, Inter Aide is a humanitarian organisation specialising in the implementation of development programmes that aim at promoting access to development for the most vulnerable communities. The programmes respond to the specific, vital needs of local communities. Our principal objective is to reinforce the capacities of vulnerable populations in order to allow them to improve living conditions within their own communities. Inter Aide currently manages programmes in 7 countries: Ethiopia, Malawi, Mozambique, Madagascar, Sierra Leone, Haiti and Guinea. Programmes are based on beneficiaries’ needs and cover several fields of rural development: water and sanitation (including services for the maintenance of water points); agriculture and support to farmer’s organisations; community health (including the reduction of child mortality, sexual and reproductive health services); primary education.
Inter Aide has been operating in Malawi since 1991. To this day, this NGO and its partners have participated in 10 different programmes in the fields of agriculture, child health, water supply, sanitation and maintenance in the central and southern regions of the country.
As a management principle, Inter Aide delegates most of the responsibilities to Programme Managers (PM) based in the field, and as much as possible to local partners. PMs and local partners are in charge of the implementation of the activities as well as the human resources management and all the financial and administrative tasks.
PMs are ultimately in charge of managing their projects, but Inter Aide has identified several topics (including local representation, internal control, administration and logistics) for which a support office has been created in 2015 (called LSO for Lilongwe Support Office) in the capital city, consisting of a Senior Adviser and an Administration Manager.
Inter Aide is looking for a new Admin and Partnership Senior Adviser from November 2020. This position is by essence envisioned as a flexible and proactive support to Inter Aide programmes, and therefore requires adaptability and drive.
The Senior Adviser works in close collaboration with the sector team (Area Managers and Administrative and Financial Managers, based in France or in Lilongwe) and the Programme Managers based in the field. Through regular communications and missions in the field, his/her main functions are to:
- Provide flexible support to each programme on administrative, legal and logistical aspects in coordination with the Programme Managers and in close collaboration with the Malawian Administration Manager (based in the same office):
- Monitor the administrative and immigration situation of each expatriate (visa, work permit, etc.) and manage the files with the authorities and local administrations.
- Manage legal issues or cases of the structure and of each programme, in particular by ensuring the liaison with Inter Aide’s lawyer
- Maintain the vehicle fleet tracking document for all programmes and support purchases and resales
- Provide logistical support to programmes, particularly in the context of international purchases (import management) or Lilongwe purchases, in compliance with Inter Aide’s procedures and donor constraints.
- Supporting the management of insurance contracts (team and equipment) for each programme and monitoring specific open files
- In the event of legislative or administrative changes, support the Programme Managers in the practical implementation of the changes (new taxes, employee registration, etc.)
- Update and complete all shared folders and reference documents (manuals, guides, etc.) to clarify the mission of LSO or simplify the work of the Programme Managers
- Ensure the functioning of the Lilongwe office (supervision of the Administration Manager and the guards, annual budget, management of monthly fund requests for LSO, validation of the LSO monthly accounting, etc.)
- Ensure the payment of pension funds (retirement plan) for all Inter Aide programme staff and liaise with the relevant administrations
- Identify other possible needs for Programme Managers support or optimisation of resources, and provide the necessary support, in collaboration with the sector team.
- Represent the association and programmes at institutional level and identify new operational, financial and legal partners in close collaboration with the Area Managers:
- Guarantee the legal and administrative framework of the association in the country (registration with the authorities, etc.) and ensure that the structure complies with the laws of the country
- Represent Inter Aide and each programme in governmental or partner discussion and coordination forums (NGO Board, INGO forum, etc.) and ensure accountability (financial and operational) at this level.
- Identify local funding opportunities as well as technical and operational partners in close collaboration with Area Managers and Programme Managers
- Develop and maintain a network of resource persons and organisations to be contacted (directors of international and local NGOs, development actors, local authorities…)
- Mobilise the sector team on these subjects through the reaction of exchange reports, summary files and the elaboration of concrete proposals for the structure
- Continue to develop the procedures and internal audit system, and guarantee the quality approach and transparency of the programmes (including those implemented by the local partner BASEDA):
- Guarantee the minimum quality standards of the internal procedures currently in place in each programme (procurement procedures, HR management, stock management, etc.) and support the different programmes’ and local partner’s teams in their review and improvement if necessary
- Assist in the operational implementation of the internal audit tool for each programme, according to the priority needs identified
- Conduct annual audits or each programme resulting from the internal control system, in collaboration with the LSO Administration Manager, then support the teams in the implementation of the recommendations
- Identify aspects presenting a major risk of fraud or legal non-compliance for the structure or a particular programme, and work on securing them with the Programme Managers and the sector team (banking risk, procurement, construction, etc.).
- University degree in a related field (Admin/Log, management, law…)
- Fluent English is compulsory (oral and written)
- A professional experience in administrative and financial management, preferably in a developing country
- Knowledge of procedures, controls and audit in similar contexts
- Dynamism, rigor and organization skills
- Ability to work in autonomy
- Flexibility and proactiveness
- Diplomacy, negotiation skills (with local authorities and partners)
- Strong interest in field work (regular travels within programme intervention areas)
- 1 year VSI contract, renewable
- 1270€ per month + field allowance
- Pension fund contribution and medical insurance
- 1 flight return trip
Post to be filled in November 2020
Please send CV + Cover letter, with the reference MAL/ADMIN/LLW to email@example.com
For more information: