Based in Lilongwe and Mitundu, Malawi (frequent travels to Phalombe)
Inter Aide has been working in Malawi for more than 25 years and now runs 9 programs in rural areas in the field of community health, agriculture, access to water and maintenance of water points. Currently, the association is implementing two community health programs aimed at improving the health of young children and women, the first in Lilongwe district and the second in Phalombe district. Each program is deployed in the catchment areas of several rural health centers (covering a total population of about 160,000 people) focusing on prevention and early case management of the main pathologies responsible for the mortality of young children (malaria, diarrheal diseases, respiratory diseases and birth complications).
These programs are based on two main approaches:
Activities at community level
- Conducted in all villages of the targeted health centers’ catchment area, they directly involve the population and community leaders to improve health behaviors: Identify and train village health committees;
- Support the publication and enforcement of community health by-laws;
- Conduct community sensitization activities (project facilitators alongside community health agents);
- Monitor the adoption of good health seeking behaviors and preventive practices.
Activities to support the health system
Implemented in close collaboration with local health services, they focus on increasing and improving health care delivery for children under 5 and pregnant women in health centers targeted by:
- Support health staff management and planning of activities;
- Improve infrastructure, stock management and equipment of health centers;
- Support village clinics (community health posts run by government health workers).
The Phalombe District Project is run by an expatriate Program Manager currently being replaced, while the Lilongwe Project, located in Mitundu, is managed by a Local Program Manager in office since 2013.
Inter Aide is currently seeking, for a newly created position, a public health professional to take the lead of community health actions in Malawi. S/he will play a role of overall coordination and strategic support for the two projects currently being implemented.
The Program Director will be responsible for the technical coordination and overall supervision of the two programs (Central and Southern Regions), with greater operational support for the Mitundu project. He / she will be under the supervision of the Country Director based in France, and will supervise the two Program Managers.
Her/his main responsibilities will be:
For all health programs in Malawi, in partnership with the Country Director based at headquarters, about 50% of working time:
- Develop Inter Aide’s strategy in the area of community health (definition of main lines of action, improvement of methodological approaches, identification of new areas of intervention, transfer of skills …);
- Support Program Managers in the implementation of a relevant and rigorous monitoring and evaluation system, and actively participate in ad hoc surveys (definition of protocols, implementation of data collection and analysis)
- Representing Inter Aide’s health projects with local and national health authorities, ensuring their consistency with existing or developing health policies
- Establish and maintain relationships with other health actors in Malawi (local and international NGOs, UN agencies, donors, etc.) to ensure functional coordination of Inter Aide activities, refine understanding of the context in order to improve the project strategy, and to establish potential operational partnerships
- Source local financing opportunities
- Finalize half-yearly activity reports for both projects before sending to headquarters
For the Lilongwe project, about 50% of the working time:
- Support the local Program Manager in the coordination and implementation of activities (improvement of sensitization tools and messages, training of facilitators, punctual supervision of actions in the villages, monitoring of health centers and construction projects);
- Advising the local Program Manager in the management of the team (composed of about twenty people), particularly in case of recruitment or disciplinary measure;
- Control the management of financial and material resources by taking part in the internal audit system put in place.
The Program Director will be based in Lilongwe or Mitundu and will share his time between the two cities (40-minute drive away). He / she will carry out regular missions to Phalombe (located 5 hours away).
- Medical or paramedical training, master’s degree in public health
- 3 years of prior experience in project management in developing countries
- Fluent English
- Strong interpersonal and pedagogical skills
- Organizational and delegation capacity
- Basic skills in statistics
- Methodological rigor, patience, diplomacy, tenacity and autonomy
- Taste for the field (many trips to the targeted villages)
- 2 years contract minimum
- Between 1200€ and 1300 € net monthly salary + field allowance
- Full health insurance + repatriation insurance
- 1 round trip flight at the beginning and the end of the mission + 1 round trip flight per year
- Possibility of departure in couple
Position to be filled in September 2019
Please send your application (LM + CV), under reference MAL/SANTE/LIL to firstname.lastname@example.org
The selection of the files will be done as and when they are received.
Applications with a CV of more than two pages will not be processed.
For more information: