5 to 6 MONTHS BASED IN MALAWI
In order to promote the diffusion of impactful practices, Inter Aide wishes to carry out a specific study. This study would consist in illustrating, analysing and documenting the impact of introducing chicken vaccination services against Newcastle disease in rural areas and chicken management practices set up by family farmers in Malawi
Organisation: Inter Aide (www.interaide.org)
Duration: 5 to 6 months
Context and purpose: Inter Aide is implementing a chicken vaccination program in several districts of Malawi. To improve the quality of the services brought to families and the viability of the developed activities, Inter Aide is proposing an internship that will focus on 2 main aspects:
- Evaluating the effects of the vaccination activities, by a comparative assessment of targeted and non-targeted adjacent areas.
- A study survey of the traditional practices related to chicken management and diseases & parasites prevention and control, and a critical review of these practices (like anthelmintics), in order to better support the community vaccinators in providing advice on these approaches to chicken smallholders and support families in maintaining and increase their poultry flocks.
Full project context and terms of reference of the internship are available on request.
A synthesis document, as well as practical guidelines/case studies (for easy dissemination and communication). Prior to its release on a larger scale, these documents will have to be validated by the main stakeholders involved.
The intern will have to demonstrate a great level of autonomy. She/he will be in direct link with the vaccination program manager, with whom she/he will communicate regularly to discuss about the work progress and preliminary results. The intern will be supported by the local Inter Aide teams.
The volunteer will be based in the town of Nathenje (where the Inter Aide field office is situated), and is expected to frequently travel to the intervention zones (Lilongwe, Zomba and Phalombe districts).
Languages: English (work language). Local populations often only speak Chichewa.
- 5 to 6 month fixed term contract (starting in February or March 2018).
- Allowance: legal intern allowance
- Airfare not provided
- Accommodation: in the field in Nathenje, to be found with the support of local staff
- Living conditions: rural area
- Transportation: motorbike or bicycle in the field (1 project car is also based in Nathenje)
- Translation : an interpreter will be available in the field for interviews
- IT logistics : the project office in Nathenje will be available and is equipped with all necessary facilities
Skills and experience required:
- Schooling in Animal science, Veterinary, Agriculture, Rural development or related field.
- Excellent analysis and writing skills
- Fluent English is mandatory
- Great autonomy, rigour, adaptation capacities
- Ability to ride a motorbike will be an advantage
- Ability to live in a remoted area
Please send your application (resume and cover letter) under reference Stage/Malawi to firstname.lastname@example.org
Selection of applications will be processed as they are received.
Starting date: February or March 2018