Inter Aide has been operating in Malawi for more than twenty-five years and is currently implementing 9 programmes in rural zones in the following fields: Infant and child health, sanitation, access to drinking water and hygiene promotion, water supply system maintenance, agriculture and support for family farming.
Today, the association is running 2 Child health programs aiming in reducing the number of children’s death under five years old, including neonates, who get sick or die from preventable diseases (mainly malaria, diarrhoea, respiratory diseases and complications during pregnancy and birth). Today, Inter Aide is active in Phalombe and Lilongwe districts.
These programs are organised in two types of actions:
Actions at community level:
Implemented within villages related to the targeted health centres, they involve men, women, children and community leaders in order to improve health behaviours:
- Identification and creation of village health committees;
- Support for elaboration and reinforcement of health committees’ guidelines;
- Implementation of sensitization sessions within the community (leaded by the project facilitators and health state agents);
- Evaluation of behaviours and preventive practising.
Actions supporting the health system:
Implemented with the local health services, they focus on the improvement of the services for children under 5 years old and pregnant women in the targeted health centres:
- Improvement of the staff management and planning of activities;
- Supplying and equipment of the health centres;
- Support to local clinics.
Within the framework of a replacement, Inter Aide is currently looking for a full-time Programme Manager who will have full responsibility for the child health programs in Malawi.
The Program Manager will have full responsibility for the project in Phalombe, and will strengthen the capacity of the local Programme Assistant. Furthermore, he/she will coordinate and supervise the two programs (in Centre and South regions), on technical, strategic and financial aspects. The Program Manager reports directly to the Area Manager who is based in France. Only expatriate working in the programme, he/she will be based in Phalombe and will travel on a regular basis to Lilongwe.
His/her responsibilities will be as follow:
Responsibilities in connection with the programme in Phalombe district
- Coordination and development of the activities:
- Supervision of actions in villages;
- Facilitators’ training;
- Improvement of educational tools and information messages;
- Analysis of periodic surveys.
- HR and administrative management of team of 20 people
- Capacity strengthening of the Programme Assistant
- Management of the financial and material resources
- Operational and financial reporting
Responsibilities in connection with the programme in Lilongwe district
- Support the Lilongwe team, and especially the local programme manager, on technical, strategic and methodological aspects
- Support in reporting and implementation of monitoring and evaluation system
- Financial control
For all child health programmes in Malawi
- Develop strategic plans for Inter Aide Child Health Programs in Malawi including support in establishing program direction and objectives with the Area Manager
- Supervise needs assessments (potential local operational and financial partnerships, new potential areas…)
- Liaise with regional and national level partners, including government ministries, other NGOs and international organizations and look for local funding opportunities
- Provide support for conducting monitoring & evaluation of all program activities, including the development and implementation of appropriate M&E methodology and support designing and implementing baseline/end line surveys, data management and developing reports
- Support audit and internal control procedures for both programmes
- Liaise with Area Managers and Funders.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University degree in medicine, public health, health economics or related area
- Relevant experience in project management, including team management
- First professional experience in a developing country
- Pedagogical skills, in training and team facilitation
- Fluent English is mandatory
- Basic to intermediate skills in statistics, epidemiology and rigorous data analysis
- Ability to listen, to be diplomatic and to delegate
- Rigor, organisation, relationship building and negotiation skills
- Mobility, aptitude for field work (in remote areas), flexibility, and dynamism
- Resistance to social and cultural isolation
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Voluntary fixed-term contract (1 year VSI), and possibility of unlimited-duration contract
- Equivalent of the French minimum wage (13 months) + field allowance
- Complete social security + repatriation insurance + 1 Flight Return trip each year
- Possibility of departure as a couple with voluntary implication of partner in programme
Post to be taken up end-September 2017
The selection of applicants will be processed as and when they are received.
Applications with CV’s exceeding 2 pages will not be taken into consideration.
Please forward CV + LM under reference SANTE/MALAWI to firstname.lastname@example.org