Inter Aide has been operating in Malawi within particularly deprived communities since 1992 and carries out programs in the Central region and Southern regions of the country.
In Phalombe district, the agricultural development program started in 2008. It aims at sustainably improving the food security of most vulnerable families.
The team in charge of the program supports the strengthening of the capacities of smallholder farmers (around 20 new groups and 700 new families each year) through the setting up of productive activities tied to the main needs that have been identified:
- Reinforcement of seed conservation and access to new and adapted crops and varieties: maize, groundnuts, pigeon peas, amongst others;
- Promotion of improved and adapted cropping practices within family farmers (fertility management, production of organic fertilizers, cropping techniques improvement …);
- Natural resources management (setting up of tree nurseries, reforestation, soil conservation);
- Small-scale off-season cropping;
- Development of small livestock.
Inter Aide is currently looking for a dynamic and skilful agronomist, to coordinate and develop the project, as well as evaluate its impacts.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Agricultural Development Program Manager will be based in Phalombe district. He/she will coordinate, develop and evaluate the activities implemented with the farmer groups. She/he will refer to the Area Manager based in France. Her/his main responsibilities are the following:
- Supervise, evaluate and reinforce the local team;
- Guaranty the coherence and relevance of the activities implemented (according to the needs identified);
- Ensure the quality of the technical trainings;
- Make sure that the objective of targeting the most vulnerable families is respected;
- Evaluate the impact of the program;
- Develop collaboration with local authorities and other stakeholders;
- Coordinate program logistics;
- Prepare operational and financial reports to be shared with the rest of the team based in France: frequent activities reports, expense forecasts, accountability and budget;
- Bear in mind the program strategy (message, approach) and its geographical extension (identification of new areas of intervention).
Within the scope of his/her duties, the Program Manager will have to travel frequently to villages in areas of intervention as well as in other regions of the country (exchange visits, exploration).
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED
- Graduate agronomist engineer (specialised or experienced in agricultural development)
- 2-year minimum professional experience, partly in a developing country
- Experience in project management required
- Experience in the implementation and follow-up of farming supporting-council device measures
- Experience in team management required
- Knowledge in GIS appreciated
- Delegation, diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Propensity for field work, dynamism and flexibility
- Fluent in English (oral and written) compulsory
Conditions of employment
- Limited-duration contract for the first 6 months and then unlimited-duration contract (moral commitment of 2 years expected)
- Net pay of 1144 € per month + 13th month + field allowance
- Social security + repatriation insurance + annual return airfare
- Possibility of departure as a couple with voluntary implication of partner in programme
Post to be taken up Mid-November 2017
The selection of applicants will be processed as and when they are received.
Applications with CV’s exceeding 2 pages will not be taken into consideration.
Please forward CV + LM under reference AGRO/PLB to email@example.com.